What is the concrete crack repair? Cracks in concrete can be repaired depending on the condition of the crack. The width, length, and depth of the crack are the main parameters for repair.
Cracks in concrete are usually caused by shrinkage, temperature, misplacement of the grout, excessive stress, loading conditions and external factors. Epoxy injection provides the removal of these cracks. Injection is applied according to the condition of the crack. So, what is the concrete crack repair?
What is Concrete Crack Repair?
Concrete crack repair is to repair the crack that occurs because of different factors in the concrete and to extend the life of the concrete. Concrete is broken for different reasons as follows:
- Drying shrinkage (inadequate curing)
- Thermal contraction or expansion
- Lack of proper control connections (irregularity of nodes)
- Overload conditions causing bending, stress or shear cracks in concrete
Repair of Concrete Crack with Epoxy
The main purpose of repairing concrete cracks with epoxy is to ensure the structural integrity of the concrete and to prevent moisture from penetrating into the concrete. The crack is repaired to prevent rusting of the reinforcement. Epoxy is a method used if damage is minimal.
When is Epoxy Used?
Before the use of epoxy, it is important to know the cause of the crack and determine the need for repair. If the crack does not impair the structural integrity of the concrete, filling can be carried out using polyurethane mortar or other materials. Epoxy is used when a structural repair is required. For this, the issue causing the crack must be removed. If moisture is present in the crack and moisture cannot be dried, an moisture-based epoxy should be used. Epoxy injection should not be used if there is a crack caused by rusted steel. This may result in new cracks.
Tips for Repairing Concrete Crack
If you encounter a concrete crack, you should pay attention to the following:
- You can start with a low injection and increase the pressure later.
- Large and deep cracks may require more injection presses.
- When filling large cracks, you need to wait a while to make it possible for the epoxy to fill the concrete cracks. If the waiting time is too long, it will be difficult to reach the main area as it will become rigid.
- If the injection device is operating at high pressure, you should seek help from a qualified person.
- If the crack is wide, the injection method may not work. You should ensure that the crack is repairable before proceeding.