Definition of Scaffold: Scaffold is a support structure which is used in construction, repair, restoration, formation, demolition, cleaning and painting of buildings and other structures; provides going upstairs; and enables to work safely in the high floors. It is comprised of pipes, fittings, platforms and other accessories. Scaffolds used in construction become a safe system by means of the main carrier (panel), horizontal fences and cross-links. Facade scaffolding, known also as spatial scaffold, forms a safe and secure working environment by being installed on the facades of buildings besides its feature of being used in different sizes of volumes. The scaffolds used for supporting the molds in construction are called “formwork”.
Usage Areas of Scaffolds
Scaffolds are not only used in construction areas. In order to do a lot of work safely on the time, scaffolds are used for varied needs in various usage areas such as
- Power plant
- Industrial plant
- Hangar, warehouse, entrepot
- Roof system
- Ship construction plant
- The mall
- Bridge and viaduct
- Concert, exhibition center, tent, stage
- Restoration and organization of artistic and historical structures.
Types of Scaffolds
There is different sort of scaffolds which is chosen depending on the purpose of use, the kind of the work and the building condition:
- Fixed scaffolding installed on the ground
- Suspended scaffold
- Facade scaffolding
- Mobile scaffolding
- Bridge, walkway and gate
- Stairwell tower
- Heavy duty scaffold
- Scaffold with protective equipment
Properties that Scaffolds Must Have
All types of scaffolding, such as scaffolding used in construction, must have own specific and standard characteristics. These features are must in order to form a good working environment and to finish and deliver works on time.
- All scaffolding systems must be coated with hot-dip galvanized against corrosion.
- It must be resistant to high load.
- There must be crossing stairs.
- There must be protective barriers at the edges.
- It must be fixed well to the floor.
- Strength and durability calculations must be made.
- It must comply with TS-EN 12810 and TS-EN12811 standards.
- Material quality must be very high.
Assembly and disassembly must be easy.